Jul 19, 2017

40+ Weeks


Still here. Still pregnant.

Everyone thought I'd go early. I don't know why. Maybe because my stomach is huge or that my body is on the shorter side and she'd have no place to go but out? But I knew better. In the back of my mind, I've always figured I'd go over or need to be induced. And I'm trying to be okay with that.

We had a long appointment yesterday that started with a non stress test. This is basically where her heart rate and my contractions are monitored to see how's she doing in there. Though she was asleep at first, they woke her up with a buzzer (rude!) and she passed her first test! So proud. The procedure was actually very relaxing and Brandon and I simply enjoyed sitting there and listening to her heartbeat. I almost fell asleep. And yes, I'm having contractions and I do feel them, but they are nothing more than some pressure and on the pain scale of a light to medium menstrual cramp. I had two good ones in a 20 minute period.

Next we checked in with my doctor who did an ultrasound and determined that not only do I have enough amniotic fluid, I have "an Olympic sized swimming pool". So basically little Michael Phelps is just chilling in there with a lot of room to swim around. All good news.

The bad news is that I'm not progressing. At all. I'm having the aforementioned contractions, but they are doing nothing for me. My cervix is up there in no man's land, so I don't even quality for a membrane sweep at this point. My doctor was so sweet when she was checking, apologizing profusely for the pain it put me in and cursing under her breath because she really wanted to see me progress. She seemed more upset than I was (I had prepped myself before going in). In other bad news, the baby is sunny side up, which is not good combined with my narrow pelvis and leads my doctor to be a bit concerned on if she'll fit through the birth canal.

Whomp. Whoooomp.

Based on this info, we talked about induction. She said she'd let me go to 42 weeks (July 30th), but suggested we set a date for mid to late next week (July 25th - 27th). I'll find out more from my appointment on Friday as she wanted to check the on call schedule and see if she's on call next week so I won't have to use another doctor (my practice does doctor rotations). She asked what my labor goals were and I looked at Brandon and we just said obviously that the baby's health comes first and we planned to go into labor with an open mind. I did mention that, of course, I'd like to avoid a c-section (who wouldn't?) and Pitocin if possible, but understood if things did not go according to that plan. She looked me in the eye, put her hand on my knee and said, "I will do everything I can to help you achieve that." In that moment, I knew I picked the best possible doctor for me and my baby and I'd trust her opinion, without a doubt, moving forward.

I asked if there was anything I could do. Obviously the natural methods of induction are not scientifically proven, but I'd rather do something and feel like I have some kind of control over the situation, even if it's fake. She said definitely go to my acupuncturist (I went first thing this morning and will go back on Friday) and keep up the walks. I'm drinking raspberry leaf tea, taking Evening Primrose Oil, eating pineapple, and adding hot pepper flakes to just about everything I eat. I heard a chiropractor can help move things along, so I'm considering that too.

I go from feeling super frustrated about all of it to feeling really relaxed and calm. I know I'm in good hands and I know that at some point in the near future (or at least by July 30th), she will be here. And even though I really really don't want to be induced, I do like the fact that we'd have a date set in stone. Being Type A planners, this suits our personalities. So as for now, I'm soaking up my lazy days of Netflix, long walks, and meeting friends for tea or lunch. I'm doing my best to deal with how uncomfortable I am and appreciating the fact that she's healthy and my pregnancy has been so low key. Definitely the calm before the storm over here.


No comments:

Post a Comment


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...