Jun 24, 2017

What's In My Baby's Hospital Bag


If there's one thing I've heard over and over again, it's that first time moms pack way too much for their hospital stay. I'm going to do my best to keep it to two bags (one for her, one for me and Brandon). We live about 20 minutes from the hospital we are delivering at and I'm sure at some point, Brandon will want to go home to shower, so he can always grab what we need and pick me up a turkey sandwich on the way back ;)

So first, my baby bag, aka, diaper bag. As I mentioned here, I chose the Skip Hop Forma Pack and Go Diaper Bag. Brandon's grandmother got it for us at our baby shower and I love that every time I see it, I think of her. I'm such a sap when it comes to gifts.

Skip Hop Forma

While I haven't had a chance to use them yet, Brandon and I are always commenting on the quality of the Skip Hop items we've received or purchased. Everything seems well made, easy to assemble, and and a great value. But back to the bag. I chose this one because it has...wait for it...packing cubes! I love love love packing cubes.

Skip Hop Forma

While I know I could just buy any old packing cubes to use in another bag, I loved the fact that these were made to perfectly fit the Forma and one is insulated to hold bottles or snacks. Other features include a changing pad with it's own zipper pouch in the back, two side pockets for bottles, a front zip pocket for keys and the inside has built in pockets - that's 11 pockets total! While I wish this was machine washable (like the Ju Ju Be bags), it's not. But, the material seems like it would be easy to wipe down and it's not nearly as expensive as other diaper bags.

Now, here's what I packed inside for the hospital. There are a few things here that I know I won't need, but will be staples for the diaper bag, so I went ahead and stuck them in there. The bag is pretty full, but I won't normally be carrying 28 diapers with me, so I feel like there'll be plenty of room once we clear out some of those. Speaking of which...

Skip  Hop Forma

Diapering
I prefer mostly fragrance-free products for myself (or at least free of synthetic fragrances), so naturally, I want them for the babe too. I'll be bringing my own diapers for this reason. I can see all you moms out there rolling your eyes at me, especially because diapers are expensive, yo!


  • 28 newborn Bambo Nature diapers 
  • 1 package of Water Wipes  (I put these in the Huggies Clutch and Go - see below. Edited to add: Our Infant Basics class recommended using a wet baby washcloth instead of wipes for the first two months, so these will not be used for some time.)
  • 1 roll of compostable dog waste bags

Huggies Clutch

Baby Clothes

Clothing and Blankets

  • 1 newborn outfit: kimono top + matching pants
  • 1 Gerber newborn kimono tee shirt
  • 1 Gerber 0-3 month onesie
  • 1 pair of newborn pants
  • 1 pair of white socks
  • 1 pair of scratch mitts
  • 1 hat
  • 1 Hadley Girl crocheted newborn bow headband
  • 1 Swaddle Designs muslin swaddle blanket

Going Home Outfit

Baby Toiletries

Toiletries
Again, will be using my own toiletries instead of what the hospital uses. Earth Mama Angel Baby has great reviews and their products contain no synthetic fragrances. It's a really subtle orange vanilla scent that doesn't bother me. Actually, it makes me want a Creamsicle. Edited to add: Our Infant Basics class also taught us that it's not necessary to use any soaps, lotions, or balms on a baby until they are 2 months old and just warm water will suffice for cleaning. These will be kept in the bag to use for travel down the road!

  • Earth Mama Angel Baby travel bottom balm
  • Earth Mama Angel Baby travel body wash & shampoo
  • Earth Mama Angel Baby travel lotion
  • nail clippers + emery board
  • Babyganics hand sanitizer

I just stuck these in the insulated cube for now. May get a small cosmetic bag to put them in. But hey, this works. 

Toiletry Cube

Ect. 

  • Copper Pearl nursing cover / carseat cover
  • 1 Planet Wise wet bag

Am I missing anything especially useful? I heard she'll be dressed in a tee shirt provided by the hospital and their swaddling blankets, so she really only need one outfit at the most. But, I wanted to make sure she had options/layers depending on the weather and her size.

How is it that I can be so giddy about packing a bag? What has happened to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...