Sep 16, 2016

TTC: Supplements


This is my new series talking about the trying to conceive process (TTC). It's chock full of crazy thoughts, feelings, and a bit of TMI. To recap my first post on the subject, we've been trying to conceive for almost a year now and am I ready to talk about it and share what I'm doing about it. Before seeing a fertility doctor and starting fertility meds, I really want to try and do everything I can to conceive naturally. Here's the plan. 

Previous posts:
On Babies, Part 2

TTC: Supplements

Thank you for the comments, well wishes and prayers! I feel like this process can be incredibly lonely sometimes, so it certainly helps to write about it and reach out to those who know exactly how I feel.

As I mentioned, I wanted to talk about what I've learned along the way and what I'm doing to try and make this all happen. We want to try to conceive naturally, if at all possible, taking a holistic approach to this. While I wouldn't be opposed down the road to things like Clomid and other fertility drugs, I want to make sure that I've exhausted all of my options before then. I'm still relatively early in the game here.

First and foremost, I'm not a doctor (obviously) and I'm not recommending anyone to try these tips without consulting one. I am seeing an acupuncturist and my regular OBGYN and while these supplements have been approved by them, they are only approved for me. I am here because I simply want to talk about my personal experience and highlight a few things I had luck with.

Let's start with supplements. While the prenatal vitamins don't necessarily help you get pregnant, they are good to have in system in case you do. I want to make sure my body is pumped with lots of good old folate for when the time comes.

There's debate on whether you need vitamins if you have a well-rounded diet there are those who feel like they are a waste of money. My two cents: I'd rather be safe than sorry. While vitamins as a whole are debatable, there is a lot of respectable research to support the claim that folate/folic acid prevents spinal tube defects. Personally, I like the assurance because my diet isn't the greatest sometimes (I'm working on it) and I do feel that these vitamins give me more energy and as an added bonus, my nails are growing faster than I can keep up. (Note: none of these links are affiliates. Click away!).

Garden of Life Vitamin Code RAW Prenatal

I had a hard time finding a prenatal last year that worked for my stomach and I went through a lot of brands. I finally settled on these prenatals and I love them. They don't upset my stomach, are small and therefore easy to swallow and they are chock full of raw veggie and fruit blends. You do have to take three of them, but I'd rather take three small vitamins than one giant horse pill. Another thing I would like to point out is that these have folate instead of the folic acid (which is the synthetic form of folate). Folate is supposed to be absorbed in your body a bit easier than folic acid. That being said, if I couldn't find a vitamin with folate that was easy on my stomach, I would have chosen one with folic acid. I doubt it truly matters as long as you are getting enough.

Brandon also takes the male version of this vitamin.

Garden of Life Oceans Mom Prenatal DHA 

I don't get enough Omega-3's in my diet, so I take this instead. It's great for brain development in the baby should you get pregnant. Most fish oil capsules leave a horrible taste in your mouth, but not so with these. They have a slight strawberry taste and are very easy to take. I keep mine in the fridge.

Evening Primrose Oil Capsules

I debated about writing about this because it's well, gross. And borderline TMI. No. It's 100% TMI. But it works. If you've read anything about trying to conceive you know that you need a good amount of fertile cervical fluid to move things along. I don't make enough naturally and this really helps. I saw results immediately. I take it start taking it on cycle day 5 and up until I ovulate.

Fertility Tea (aka Red Raspberry Leaf Tea)

I love tea. I love tea as much as you coffee people love coffee. It's my thing, so I of course the first supplement I ordered early this year was some organic Fertility Tea. The main ingredient is this particular blend is red raspberry leaf tea (RRLT) which is supposed to help regulate your cycle and hormones. RRLT on its own doesn't taste all that great, but this tea tastes like peppermint and is really good. It's caffeine-free too, so you can drink as much as you want. They do not advise drinking this once you are pregnant (unless you are ready to go into labor), so I only drink it from cycle day 1 - 16 or so, not everyday, but a few times a week. I don't really know if it helps, but I enjoy it.

So that's what I take in terms of supplements. I have most of these on Amazon Subscribe and Save, which is nice so I don't ever run out and it saves just a tiny bit of money too. They aren't cheap. That's for sure. But, is anything dealing with babies cheap? :)


Be back in a few days with more thoughts on the plan; acupuncture treatments, changing my diet, exercise, etc. Good times.

3 comments:

  1. Have you heard of Protesterone Cream? A friend of mine who is very into natural family planning recommended this to me. She uses it to regulate her own cycles (i.e. she's not trying to get pregnant), but she said she knows a few friends who used this to naturally help regulate her progesterone levels while TTC. I don't know much about it and she's not a dr or anything, but she is a person I trust when it comes to this kind of thing! If you have heard of it/researched it, interested to know your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took vitex when ttc the first time to help regulate my cycles. I have pcos and always went months before my period which was not helpful when trying to chart and what not. After 3mo, my cycles were much more consistent! And I've taken rainbow light prenatal vitamins for a looong time before ttc so I hear ya, better safe than sorry! Wishing you all the best in this journey!

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...