Apr 14, 2015

Choosing the Right Grey Sofa


We spent hours on Saturday at various furniture stores and came home completely overwhelmed and exhausted. You see, we don't have any real furniture. Nothing we own (besides our cheap leather sofa) was pre-assembled when we purchased it (cough, Ikea, cough). Almost all of our furniture is on the fritz after six years and we are pretty sure most won't survive the move. Hey, you get what you pay for.

While we plan to purchase things as we go and check out estate sales and Craigslist to find great deals on used pieces, we agreed that there are two things we want brand new: a sofa and a mattress. After all, they get the most use right?

Anyway, let the furniture hunting being...starting with a sofa!

I probably should have preceded this post with the "look" we are going for in our new somewhat modern home, but I think this photo from West Elm sums it up well. I like modern lines, but I definitely do not like how most modern homes feel sterile. I want to incorporate some mid century elements too (like the sofa and maybe a nice sideboard). Overall, just a place that feels cozy, welcoming, and isn't Pottery Barn catalogue perfect (because we all know that I couldn't achieve that look if I tried, nor do I want to).

Living Room Inspiration | West Elm
Credit: West Elm

Here's what we are looking for:

Criteria:
  • Some shade of grey, but not too dark (note that all of the sofas below have gray options)
  • Large enough to fit the both of us comfortably for movie watching (we think a sectional or chaise would be great for this!)
  • Comfy enough for naps and said movie watching
  • Really good quality that will last us for the next 10 years or so
  • Easy to clean
  • Modern lines, mid century style
  • No tufting (Brandon's rule not mine)
  • Budget: We had no idea larger sofas were so expensive! Our initial budget was under $2,000, which we thought was super generous, but after looking a bit more, we'll be happy to stay under $3,000. 

After hours of research, the contenders are:

Gray Sofas

Crate & Barrel - Rochelle - $3099 ($2500 with gift card!)

We have $600 of C&B giftcards from our wedding (total gift card hoarders!), so that would put a good old dent in the price of this one. I've also heard great things about the quality of their sofas and there's a C&B nearby, so we could test it out in the store. The downfall: according to the website, this is kind of a narrower sofa and I really want something with some depth for ultimate lounging.


Room & Board - Holden Sofa w/ Chaise - $3198

If I could pick one sofa based solely on reviews, it would be this one. The reviews are glowing (amazing quality and comfort), the depth is nice and wide, and the couch is fairly large all together. What I'm not crazy about is the shape...something about those cushions just feels off to me. I cannot put my finger on it. This is why I'm not a designer.


Gus Modern - Adalaide Sectional - $3295

How about a whole sectional instead of a chaise? I've read really good things about Gus Modern and Brandon seemed to like this one (must have something to do with both of us getting our own side of the sofa). The price is kind of outrageous, but I think it's a good deal for the amount of sofa you get. I just worry about living room screaming sectional!


Younger Furniture - Jude Sectional - $2613

I've also heard great things about Younger Furniture and I love how they are made in the good old US of A (NC to be exact). The lines on this one are nice and I like how it's midcentury, but not overwhelmingly so. Chris Loves Julia purchased a Younger Sofa and they seem to love it. The price isn't so bad either. Contender for sure.


Joybird - Deluna Sectional - $2999 ($2400 with 20% off code)

I just stumbled upon Joybird and I'm really excited about them! They offer a lot of customization when it comes to their furniture. You can choose from a ton of different fabrics (I just ordered a free swatch kit), legs, configurations, sizes, etc. They use eco-friendly materials, offer free shipping both ways, 365 day returns, and a lifetime warranty. Umm, awesome. The only downside is that you cannot check out their stuff in person before buying...though I guess if you hate it, you can send it back, no questions asked. I like the Deluna (shown above) but the Fraiser caught my eye as well.

[Edited to add: Joybird's customer service team member just emailed me to let me know that my swatches are on the way and I get an additional 20% off my first purchase. Maybe this process just got a bit easier...]


As you can see, I really don't have a frontrunner right now. Brandon and I are sort of just sitting on this information and hoping that someone will magically decide for us. Hey, Emily Henderson, you don't happen to read my blog do you? Halp.


Anyway, what's your input? Did you even read all of this? If so, call me impressed (and humbled). Also, for funsies, what's your sofa style?



2 comments:

  1. Buying a couch is so tough! I kind of rushed into the one we currently have because we had NO furniture in our living room when we first moved to Denver. I like it still (it's grey too!) but the cushions drive me nuts! The R&B couch looks amazing but that is a steep price! Depth is so important too. It's a bit of a drive, but there is a Restoration Hardware outlet in Vacaville, and my mom just got an amazing couch there! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan and I are having the same problem. I want to buy a nice couch for our new house that we will have for a while! I need something comfy, not sterile. I would have said $2,000 was being generous too! Oye. I don't know what color we are wanting yet. We're waiting until we actually have the house to decide anything!

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...