Mar 9, 2014

Mardi Gras Madness 5K


My third 5K is on the books and even though it was my slowest to date, I think I'm definitely the most proud of this one. I went from being a tad bit out of shape to running a 5k with only about 6 weeks of "training" (is it even called training when you are running such a short distance?).  My previous runs averaged around 10:45-11:00 minute miles and those were hard! It was quite humbling, so I went into this 5k with a goal of finishing before 34/33 minutes and not feeling like I was going to die at the end. I met those and then some.

But let's start from the beginning, shall we?

Mardi Gras Madness 5k

Race time was at 9am, so I got up at 6:45am. Not that early, but considering it was Daylight Savings Time, I was exhausted. See exhibit A (above). Otherwise, no complaints. The morning was a cool 55 degrees and it was cloudy (I hate running in the sun). Perfect weather.

Brandon, bless his little heart, was really excited and wanted to come watch me race and take photos. That boy is not a morning person and he'll admit it anyone (he's currently on his second nap of the day), so I was pretty pleased he came with me so I had someone to chat with and hold my jacket :)

We started on time and one of my favorite DJs, Indiana Al (from our only Bay Area country music station) did a great job hosting the event. This was also my first time having a chip-timed race, which I really liked! It was attached to the back of my bib so I didn't have to learn how to attach it to my shoe.

Anyway. The race went sort of like this (split times are according to my Run Keeper App which recorded my Finish Time, not Net Time, so they are a tad bit off I guess?):

  • Mile 1: gradual uphill the entire time. I'd say I spent .50 of a mile trying to figure out my pace and get past some of the walkers (Ha! This makes me think of the Walking Dead!). I wondered why I didn't decide to walk myself, because that sounded like a pretty good time. By the end of Mile 1, I used a method I hadn't used before in my other races: I picked a "rabbit". I just stared at the back of the person in front of me and kept up with their pace as best as I could. I actually passed a few of my rabbits and then would immediately pick another one. Mile 1 Split - 10:19 min/mile
  • Mile 2: I finally got in a groove and actually felt good, which was weird, because during most runs, I feel like poop the entire time. I kept doing my "rabbit trick"and it was really working. This was also my first race with a turnaround, so it was motivating to see the front runners kicking some major booty. It helped me pick up the pace and I was actually enjoying myself! Mile 2 Split - 10:07 min/mile
  • Mile 3: Oh my god, is it over yet? Once I saw that I had just about a mile to go, I told myself to pick up the pace and hold it there. So I did. I was passing people and then, boom. I'm dead. According to my Run Keeper app, at about 2.5 miles, I had to take a breather. I walked for about 10 seconds and that was all I needed to convince myself to keep going. At this point, I didn't know how much longer I had left and I just really wanted to be done. Don't get me wrong, I was still having fun, but I wanted some water and pizza and a bath. In that order. Mile 3 Split - 9:53 min/mile
  • Umm, let's take a moment here. NEGATIVE SPLITS? 
  • .10 Nubbin: I picked out a girl in front of me and I told myself, "just beat her". So I cranked up my music and my legs were burning and I wanted to die, but I beat her and two other folks on my way across the finish line. I sure don't look happy crossing that line, but I suddenly found some crazy competitive side of me that I didn't know existed. .10 Nubbin Split - 7:50 min/mile
  • Overall: (Net) 30:47! (9:55 min/pace)
And just like that, I was finished!

Mardi Gras Madness 5k

Loved the organization and volunteers at this race! They have a few other races coming up this summer that I might sign up for.

Mardi Gras Madness 5K Results

They had computers set up so you could check out your stats immediately following the race. I had to go home and look up "finish time" versus "net time" and I guess claiming 30:47 is correct, right? Whoop!

[9th in category? What is that?]

I grabbed a sample of Naked Juice and we sat down to watch the other finishers, which might have been my favorite part.

Mardi Gras Madness 5K

That and trying to steal this puppy.

Next, went home. Called my mom. Took a shower and made turkey panini with some grapes and spent the afternoon on the couch, which was as blissful as you can imagine.

Around 3pm, it was time for the pizza Brandon had promised me. We tried a new (to us) restaurant on Castro in Mountain View, Blue Line Pizza. Holy cow! Hit.the.spot.

Blue Line Pizza

Blue Line Pizza

Now it's nap time again until the Walking Dead comes on!

Fantastic way to end the day and of course, I'm looking up more races. I'm eyeing one for April 19th...

(Also, thank you again, Maria, for encouraging me through this whole running thing!)


4 comments:

  1. Look at you using fancy words like negative splits! I feel like runners have a whole lingo that I really need to learn. But in all seriousness, CONGRATS on such an awesome race. It's such a high and I miss it. And that pizza looks AH-mazing. When's the next race?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently I didn't comment on this post? I thought I did but congrats again!! You look awesome and you did great especially for your first time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently I'm making my way through your blog ;) .... Awesome job! You totally killed it. Hurrah! You look so happy. Love the picture by the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thanks for sticking around! That's my happy AND let's eat face!

      Delete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...