Feb 3, 2014

Running: A Love/Hate Relationship


If there's any form of exercise that I love just as much as I hate, it's running. I love how it's by far the most challenging exercise to me and I hate it for the same reason. Ha! I never had trouble with burpees, benching my bodyweight, or inversions in yoga. Those all came fairly easily to me, but running...running is hard dude!

For the past year or so, I've been coasting in my workouts. It's fine to read a book on the elliptical every once and a while, but as your only form or exercise when you are trying get fit? Not the best idea. So running it is.

So far, I've been averaging about 6-7 miles a week of running on the treadmill. I'm going slow and steady and working on my endurance instead of speed. Yesterday, I managed to run nonstop for 18 minutes. I was beaming afterwards and had energy to eek out 6 more minutes of jogging after a walk break. That's huge for me.

So you can guess what's coming right?

Mardi Gras Madness

Yup, my first race in over three years!

I'll be running (okay, jogging, slowly) the Mardi Gras Madness 5K in San Jose and I'm pretty stoked about it. (Many thanks to Maria for being a super Google sleuth and finding it for me. We'll be rooting each other on as we run/walk our East/West Coast 5Ks that weekend).

My goals:
  • Finish without feeling like I'm hyperventilating. 
  • Start slow and run a steady pace. 
  • Don't beat myself up for walk breaks.
  • Have fun! I mean, it's a Mardi Gras race after all!

Please don't tell me that I'm the only one out there that finds running incredibly difficult...

8 comments:

  1. You got this girl. Plus, the best part about a Mardi Gras race is eating king's cake after! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, I think I might need to make a trip to the mall soon! I've had luck here and there with ON's jeans, but it's been a while since I've tried any on. Lately, I've been loving (and wish I'd bought 129356 more) the "favorite T" that I bought from an American Eagle outlet this past summer. It's so soft and comfy and even though it's short-sleeved, I'm still managing to wear it once a week! Other than that, I've been practically LIVING in my super soft (and actually long enough for me...I have the OPPOSITE of your problem) yoga pants that I found at TJ Maxx. Again, I wish I'd bought a TON more! I think they're similar to these: http://www.marika.com/productinfo_item_1360-dc_550-md_542-pd_542-sn_4.htm


    And I'm still having fun playing with the Naked 3 palette that I gifted myself for Christmas! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! #5! Omg, I can't tell you how many times I've done that! Hey, it's a pretty good workout if you ask me!


    I LOVE your sense of style! Teach me your ways!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree with you more on the homemade taco seasoning! I could KICK myself for wasting so many years buying those premade packets! Ok, so now I'm craving bacon AND Mexican! Hmm, if only I could blink and a breakfast burrito would appear! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo!! Good for you girl! I used to love running...right now I'm loving that I'm finally getting back into it, but yeah, it's definitely hard stuff! It's amazing how quickly you lose your endurance...and when you haven't been a "runner" in over three years and add in a little knee surgery in there, it gets even harder! I couldn't believe how excited I was just to run ONE mile a couple weeks ago! Next goal, TWO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah girl, get it! Running is definitely no joke. It can kick your butt, some days mentally, other days physically. But overcoming those challenges and coming out the other side is what motivates you to keep on keeping on! There's no better feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for signing up for a race!! I am really looking forward to hating running again ;) Haha, it's easy to say how excited I am to run when I can't right now with my big 'ol belly. Talk to me in 6 months and kick my butt out the door.


    Also, 18 minutes nonstop is AWESOME!! As a fellow minute watcher, 18 is really high! Best feeling ever. Go you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely go through my running phases!! I got really excited the other day though when I ran a mile straight! I take walking breaks though on purpose because it's a little better on the joints...so don't feel bad about walking!!


    Good luck on your 5K! Excited to hear how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...