Feb 24, 2014

Going Low 'Poo


Let's talk hair, shall we?


Middle School and High School. I had myself a case of the frizzies. My hair isn't necessary thick (the individual strands are actually thin), but by golly, do I have a lot of it.

High School Hair

And during that time of my life when I knew nothing about how to do my hair and didn't have a lot of money to spend on products - it was a complete mess of frizz and waves (see embarrassing photo above). Somedays curly, somedays wavy. Never sleek and straight like I wanted it to be. So, mostly, I just threw it up in a pony tail or "scrunched it" with some gel. Ugh.


College and My Early Twenties.  My hair tamed down quite a bit and I bought some fantastic products that I think attributed to that:

Maria - Brandon - French Laundry
Lunch at the French Laundry requires pretty hair. I loved that cut!

All was fine and dandy and I had no hair issues. I switched around shampoo and conditioner, but my maintstay was typically Suave. Hey, it's cheap. 

And that brings up to today. I recently got my hair cut and have been washing my hair every single day. I also blow dry with my Hana dryer, flat iron (also Hana - love their products) and apply Kiehl's Heat Protectant Serum.

And my hair looks great...for a day!

Maria - Haircut
Freshly 'Pooed

After about a day, my roots get greasy (a problem I've never had), my hair becomes flat and lifeless. Just overall yuck. I did some super scientific (ahem, Google) research and found that my problem is that I shampoo my hair every day. Shampoo (especially the cheap stuff I use) strips your hair of its natural oils, thus making your head go wacko and overproduce oil. 

So, for once and for all (well, maybe, if this works) I'm done with "normal" shampoo. I have read a lot about "no 'pooing" - which is basically washing your hair maybe once a week with baking soda and apple cider vinegar - but that's a little too crunchy granola for me.

Instead, I've decided to go "Low 'Poo" which means that I'm not washing my hair as often and I'm choosing to use all natural shampoo and conditioner.

Rules
1. Stop shampooing my hair every day!
2. Reduce the amount of chemicals I use in my hair.
3. Gradually go to only shampooing twice a week.

I came up with a schedule for the next few weeks. I'll start there and make changes as necessary. I started last night with a clarifying shampoo, which deep cleaned my hair and got rid of all the product junk. On days I'm not shampooing, I plan to either use some homemade dry shampoo or (if I workout and get sweaty), rinse my hair in the shower with no shampoo and maybe condition the ends.

Schedule
  • Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday: natural shampoo, natural conditioner
  • Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday: rinse if workout, dry shampoo

Products 
  • Natural Shampoo(s) - I plan to switch back and forth between Enjoy and Original Sprout, both of which my stylist researched and said they are super natural and good for my hair
  • Dry Shampoo - going to make my own (with cocoa powder!) as shown in this video
  • No smoothing serums. Bye bye Kiehl's - you were great while you lasted. 

I am afraid this is going to get ugly, folks, but I'm determined to stick with it and hopefully see my hair return to normal once I stop all the shampooing. They say that the adjustment period can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months and here's hoping that I'm the former. 

I'll report back! Is okay to admit that I'm a little scared?


Have you tried "Low 'Poo" or "No 'Poo? Any tips or tricks? How long was your adjustment period?


3 comments:

  1. I only shampoo every other day.... or sometimes every third day depending on grease level. Perhaps I should try a natural shampoo. I usually use whatever 'decent' brand is on sale. Whatever that means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up trying to do the no poo trend for a while and just couldn't get there. I only wash my hair about twice a week (what? You don't want to be my friend anymore??) and rarely use any heat on it so it's pretty healthy as is. I use 100% pure shampoo and conditioner now and it seems to work pretty well.
    I love your idea of low-poo and look forward to hearing if you think it makes a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl.. I low poo. I only wash my hair 3 times a week. (well that was when I was working)... the rest of the time I walk around with a bees nest in my head. lol. I use all natural shampoo and conditioner and I LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...