Feb 23, 2014

Cleaning with Shaklee (and How to Get Rid of Shower Mold)


Last year, I did a whole series on Spring Cleaning (including my favorite cleaning products at the time). Cleaning is kind of my thing. Some people are runners. Some people are writers. Some are foodies. As for me, I enjoy cleaning. And I especially enjoy new cleaning products, particularly of the green variety.

Shaklee Products

I had read about Shaklee a few times on various home/cleaning blogs I follow, but it wasn't until Brittany wrote about them, that I finally decided to bite the bullet, get a membership and try the products. So, do they live up to the hype? Well, I was totally impressed, so I'd confidently say yes. I did have a few caveats though (in all honesty), so read below for those.

Shaklee Spray Bottles

I ordered the Mini Household Kit for $40 (with my new membership) and it had everything to get started. In addition to that kit, I ordered the Basic G and Laundry Brightener.

I love the idea of using a concentrate to mix your own cleaning sprays. You could even add essential oils if you want them to smell nice, but I don't mind them fragrance-free. This concentrate concept also means that while Shaklee products seem expensive upfront (I paid nearly $100 for products + membership), they are really affordable in the long run. I think each bottle of spray that you create is around 10 cents or so.

Shaklee All Purpose Spray

The Basic H2 concentrate can be used to make an all-purpose spray, glass cleaner, and degreaser. I haven't tried the glass cleaner yet, but here are my thoughts on the other two.

All Purpose Spray

I used this on my counters and it did the job. Where this really shined though was on my stainless steel appliances. I've tried all sorts of Method products to get the stainless shiny and streak-free and nothing seemed to help. But Shaklee took care of it no problem. Just look:

Stainless Steel Cleaner Comparison.jpg

Nailed it!

Degreaser 

I used the degreaser on my microwave and stovetop. Holy cow! This stuff is awesome. I normally try keep the inside of my microwave clean, but there were some spots that still had stuck on food stains (I'm talking about you, marina sauce). The Shaklee degreaser took care of that easily. I wish I had photos! Just trust me on this one.

So here's where I talk about what didn't work. Most Shaklee reviews are glowing and yes, I love the products too and will, without a doubt, continue to use them. But, they won't tackle everything in your home. At least not mine.

The Culprit: Moldy Shower Caulk

Mold on Shower Caulk


I hate when this happens. I clean my shower every weekend folks. And yet, moldy shower caulk still appears. So frustrating. When we build a house one day, there will be no shower caulk. None.

I first tried Shaklee's Basic G (a germicide) and let it sit on there for ten minutes. No dice. I then scrubbed using Shaklee's (delicious cherry smelling) Scour Off. I maybe sort of saw a tiny bit of difference after that, but the black mold was still clearly visible.

But let's get real here. The only thing that cleans shower mold is bleach. Believe me, I've tried everything. So...I bought a Clorox Bleach Pen.

Clorox Bleach Pen on Mold

Ding. Ding. We have a winner. I let the product sit on there overnight and the next morning...clean, bright white shower caulk.

So with green cleaning my motto is: If it works, great. If not, I'll still go traditional.

My plan is to make a daily shower cleaning with Shaklee Basic G (to sanitize) and Basic H2 and see if that helps keeps the mold at bay, which I'm hoping it will since I would like to get rid of the bleach once and for all.

...

While I was on a cleaning kick, I went to Target and bought a few organization items.

Cabinet organizer

First up: this long bin for all my new products to live under my sink in an organized fashion. (p.s. Bon Ami is also a product that I love and will never replace - it's natural too though!).

Over the door organizer

And then I grabbed this over-the-door hanger to neatly air-dry my clothes in the laundry room. Made me so happy because now I won't have drying clothes hanging all over the apartment all weekend long.

So there you have it. An honest Shaklee review and how to get rid of shower mold. This blog just gets more random each time you visit, huh?


2 comments:

  1. I'm a lover of honest reviews! I'm so glad you liked it and I'm going to ask around about shower mold now and just see if anyone has any solutions that really seem to work!
    In the meantime, I don't think a little bleach pen is the worst thing out there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, thank you for asking! I made my own "Daily Shaklee Shower Spray" yesterday and hoping that it works to keep the shower nice and clean and prevents the mold. Fingers crossed!


    And otherwise, LOVE the products! Need to review the laundry booster and glass cleaner at some point too.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...