Nov 24, 2013

Thanksgiving Menu and Timeline 2013


This year I'm "hosting" my third annual Thanksgiving Dinner...it's just me and the husband again. Nonetheless, it includes a lot of planning, organization, and prep work. I am tempted to call in sick all week to prepare. 


Especially since I'm adding another dish to my usual menu this year: my brother's macaroni and cheese. The menu needed more carbs, obviously. 

Thanksgiving Menu 2013

Oven Roasted and Brined Turkey Breast
Mashed Potatoes and Pan Gravy
Macaroni and Cheese with Breadcrumb Topping
Apple Stuffing Cups
Cranberry Sauce
Crock Pot Green Beans with Bacon
Bakery Rolls
Pumpkin Pie with Whipped Cream


Thanksgiving 2012-13

And here's the timeline I've created to stay organized:

The Night Before…

  1. Make turkey brine and brine/thaw turkey
  2. Make cranberry sauce
  3. Make croutons
  4. Make pumpkin pies

The Morning Of…

  1. Bake bacon and put green beans in crockpot
  2. Peel potatoes and set in water
  3. Chop onion and celery for stuffing
  4. Great sharp cheddar cheese for mac and cheese

Noon…

  1. Roast turkey
  2. Carve turkey and set aside

1-2 Hours Before Dinner…

  1. Start boiling potatoes
  2. Start boiling macaroni
  3. Mix stuffing and bake
  4. Make mac and cheese
  5. Make mashed potatoes
  6. Make gravy
  7. Bake mac and cheese + rolls


Because it's a little too expensive and a little too exhausting to fly home for Thanksgiving, I use the recipes that my mom has used since I was a child (with a little tweak here and there from my brothers, who are sous viding their turkey this year!) So not only are these recipes nearly perfect, they take me back home. Oh, the magic of food!


Do you tend to use the same Thanksgiving recipes each year or try new ones?



3 comments:

  1. The rolls, the mac n cheese, the mashed taters, YES PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound pretty set! Sounds amazing per usual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family tends to do the same thing year after year...most of which I wish they would change. But the ONE time I was "allowed" to host Thanksgiving, I got a bit too experimental for them...all because my dad didn't approve of the fruit I added to the dressing! Hrrmmpht!

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...