Jul 22, 2013

The Dream Kitchen


How my Internet searches have changed over time:

High School: college, living in a dorm, American Eagle, scholarships, student jobs

Early 20's: low carb diets, cardio workouts, graduate school programs, apartments with washer dryer,

Mid 20's: 401K plans, wedding venues, CrossFit, bouquets, Whole 30, wedding cakes, honeymoons

Today, Almost 30: eye creams, mortgage rates, Zillow, knee pain, kitchen design

Oh how the times have changed. While I don't want to reveal too much regarding out current status on buying a house (not that I don't want to share, I just don't want to jinx things), I do want to talk kitchens.

It's well known fact between my friends and I that cooking really isn't my forte. Sure, I'm good at it if I try, I just don't want to. It's too much hassle in a kitchen that barely has any counter space, cabinet space or natural light (yes, that's important).

But this kitchen below, well, let's just say that I'd be dusting off cookbooks and sending out dinner invites every other weekend. Knowing that we might have to make some decisions in the near future regarding our kitchen style, Brandon and I started scoping out kitchen designs and figuring out what we like.

And this kitchen: we like. A lot. 

White Kitchen

Now, I understand that we may not ever come close to replicating this thing of beauty, but it holds a lot of key elements in what we are looking for in a kitchen. Also, we agreed to each concept and that never happens. You should have seen the look of shock on my face when he said liked the farm house sink. That's my Tennessee boy.

Our Dream Kitchen Contains:

  • Espresso/mocha colored hardwood floors. Dark floors will be hard to keep clean, but in a dream kitchen, you have a house cleaner, right?
  • White cabinets and dark hardwood cabinets (on the island) - best of both worlds. 
  • I'm partial to quartz counters, but these white marble ones are beautiful and very chic. 
  • Stainless appliances. 
  • Farm house/apron sink - adds so much character. 
  • Shaker style cabinets - very simple and understated.
  • Glass door cabinets - I'm not crafty enough to style open shelving, but I think I could handle a glass cabinet or two.
  • Subway tile in gray or slate blue. I've never met subway tile that I haven't liked. 
  • Interesting chandelier over an island. There's something so friendly and inviting about an island and it's on our must-have list during the house hunt phase. 

Check. Check. Check.

Now, we know what we want...it's time to learn how to cook. And well, find a house that magically looks like this within our price range and in the Bay Area. I'll keep dreaming. Ha. 


What's your kitchen style? 


5 comments:

  1. I love this. That is my dream kitchen too. Gorgeous. Let's get it and cook in it together mmmk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deal. You can teach me how to cook. I can teach you...hmm, well, we'll figure something out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure this is my dream kitchen, too. I'm not even kidding when I say just last night I was watching House Hunters with my stepmom saying, "I love subway tile." "Aren't chandeliers awesome?" and "I'm really coming around to dark hardwood."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany TrenthamJuly 24, 2013 at 5:44 PM

    I love that kitchen! I spend way too much time looking at home stuff right now... and lets not even talk about eye creams...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dream kitchen would have dark cabinets and stainless steel appliances (which I already have, but oh wait, there's more...), a double oven, an island with a bar/bar stools, an interesting tile backsplash, recessed lighting under the cabinets, counter space for miles, and LOTS of natural light...oh and I would like it to be the 2nd biggest room in the house! ;)

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...