Apr 2, 2013

Blueberry Muffins and Using a Kitchen Scale


Blueberry Muffins-7

Growing up, when my mom would make a huge pot of vegetable beef soup, she always whipped up blueberry muffins to go with it. I realize that this isn't the most common pairing, but I grew to love it and expect it. So the other day when I made a pot of soup, I made blueberry muffins...and they weren't from a package. Go me.

Blueberry Muffins-2

I used my brother's recipe that he adapted from All Recipes. The thing about my brother is that he's a recipe perfectionist. He will modify and perfect a recipe until...well, it's perfect. So I normally just wait until he's through with all the leg work and ask for it. That's what brothers are for.

Blueberry Muffins

And being the recipe connoisseur that he is, he doesn't use traditional measurements for baking; he uses grams. Perfect opportunity for me to use the kitchen scale from our wedding.

Let's take a moment here to talk about baking using a scale. I kind of enjoy baking, but now I really enjoy it and it's all because of this scale. Why weigh your ingredients?
  • less messy (and there are less dishes to clean)
  • precise - no more guessing is brown sugar needs to be packed or not
  • easy to cut a recipe in half - like I did with these muffins - or double it
  • European recipes - which list ingredients in terms of weight - aren't so foreign anymore. No confusing conversions. 
  • way fun - kind of like a science experiment in your kitchen

I'm sold on the food scale method of baking. 

Blueberry Muffins-3

I'm also sold on streusel.

Blueberry Muffins-4

If you look closely you can find snowmen on these wrappers. I think they are from 2009.

Blueberry Muffins-6


Oh and these muffins. Umm, amazing. Dare I say the best blueberry muffins I've ever had? Yeah, I'll attest to that. The consistency of the muffins were darn near perfect and the streusel...well, it's streusel, so you know it's good.


Moral of the story: use your food scale for baking. You'll never want go back to messy measuring cups. Also: vegetable soup + blueberry muffins is a winning combination.

Thanks, Bro!


5 comments:

  1. yes! we use food scales when we back and love it! muffins look great

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so good! Why can't we be neighbors? I'd bring over the milk to wash them down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a random combo but I love blueberry muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brittany TrenthamApril 5, 2013 at 1:23 PM

    Those look delicious!! And... I have the same scale! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I'm all about strange combinations. Isn't it funny how we start to believe things belong together? Like spaghetti and green peas. Not that weird of a combination, but my mom used to eat it every Friday night in high school before football games, and then passed on the pairing to US as kids. [Also, peas and mac + cheese.] Now, I feel like peas belong with pasta sauce. And they go directly into the spaghetti bowl. Not on the side.


    I used to love the kitchen scale. For reasons both health related--calorie obsession, etc.--and professional--using it for Nutty Butter A LOT--I'm a bit 'over it.' Although I haven't actually used it for baking...

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...