Jan 28, 2013

Stitch Fix v.1.0


First, I must mention that my photos in this post are all wonky - it is not your monitor. Our apartment, though located on the third floor, has the natural light of a dungeon. I also forgot to light balance which is why I just decided to put some of these in black and white.

Okay, on to the Fix.

If you haven't heard of Stitch Fix, I've given some details below. If you have, feel free to skip down to the clothes because that's all I pay attention to when other bloggers write about their Fixes.


ABOUT STITCH FIX

IMG_4597

Stitch Fix is box subscription service where an assigned personal stylist sends you five clothing items or accessories, specifically chosen for you. The beauty of this is that you can try the clothes on at home, with your other clothes, don't have to fight for a parking space at the mall, or deal with shipping and return shipping charges. Yup, shipping both ways is FREE!

Here's how it works:

1. SIGN UP VIA INVITE //  This link is my personal invite, which means I get $25 if you click it and get your first box. If you prefer not to do that, you can click here to request an invite. 

2. BE PATIENT // It took me about two-three weeks before I was officially "in".

3. FILL OUT YOUR STYLE PROFILE // It should take about 10-15 minutes and asks all sorts of questions like your size, weight, height, style preferences, price range and has fun photos of outfits that you can like or dislike. It was fun.

4. SCHEDULE YOUR FIX // You can schedule for anytime in the available slots and do monthly subscriptions if you prefer. You also don't have to schedule right away. It's very easy to reschedule too, if you change your mind.

5. RECEIVE YOUR BOX // You'll get an email saying your Fix has been created and is on its way. You can log into your account now and see the descriptions of what the stylist picked out for you. Or, you can wait and be surprised. I peeked.

6. MAKE YOUR SELECTIONS // Choose what you want to keep and what you want to send back. If you keep it all, you get 25% off the entire order.

7. MAIL BACK ITEMS // If you aren't keeping the entire box, use their free addressed bag to send back the items within three days.

8. GIVE FEEDBACK // Go online and say what you did and didn't like. It helps your stylist with the next Fix. Sort of like Pandora...

9. ADJUST STYLE PROFILE // Many of my items were too big or had a weird fit, so I made some changes based on my  experience. 


Now, onto my first box and what I received.

IMG_4603

NOTE: I included prices because I noticed that a lot of bloggers were leaving them out and I was curious. On my style profile, I choose the price range of "the cheaper, the better" and most of my items ended up being in the $45-$60 range. It's a bit more than I typically spend on clothing, but I loved the idea of Stitch Fix so much that it didn't deter me.

Also, the styling service costs $20 upfront, but if you purchase something, the money goes towards that item. Considering how much gas I use to drive (in city traffic) to the nearest mall and the fact that I inevitably buy a drink or food while shopping, I think it evens out.


ITEM 1 // $ 58 // Dylan and Rose Florian Overlap Tulip Pocket Skirt

IMG_4612

No, no, no. All wrong. From the style to the fit and to the fact that it was huge on me, I immediately took this off and into the bag it went. Of course, seeing my pasty white legs didn't help matters, but this was not my style at all.


ITEM 2  // $55 // Mia Melon Paloma Back Cutout Jersey Top

IMG_4617

IMG_4639

I loved the wooden buttons in the back of the shirt and the cutout on the back. I wasn't crazy about the print though and how it was a bit too loose around my waist. I think it would have been a keeper if it were cinched at the waist or was a bit more fitted. I guess I could tuck it into pants, but I'm too short for that.

I think my stylist has her work cut out for her...

ITEM 3 // $48 // Very J Cairns Ruffle Front Button Up Tank

IMG_4622

IMG_4623

I wasn't too crazy about the color of this, but after I tried it on, I liked it. It was incredibly comfy, though I think it was due to the fact that it was a bit too big. Though maybe this is how you wear these shirts? All loose with skinny jeans? I have no clue. I liked it, but not enough to keep.

At this point, I realized that maybe I put down the wrong size and cut preference for shirts...

ITEM 4 // $58 //  Honey Punch Pearl Lurex Slubbed Knit Sweater

IMG_4625

I had just purchased a cream cami, so I thought it would be perfect under this sweater. It did look good and this was Brandon's favorite piece on me...but again, the fit wasn't right and I looked really boxy. I did love the color and the material though. It was comfy, and something I would have never chosen myself, which I liked. Again though, the fit was off, so into the bag it went..

And finally...what I did keep.

ITEM 5 // $45 // DDCC Infinity Stripe Scarf

IMG_4628

IMG_4630

I pretty much knew when I opened my box that this guy would be the winner. I love infinity scarves, stripes and gray, so it fit the bill perfectly. It was really soft and made in San Francisco (local clothing is totally a new thing, right?). I probably wouldn't normally pay that much for a scarf, but I know I'll wear this a lot (and didn't want to lose out on $20). It's not overwhelming like most scarves that look like you are trying to hide something.

Some other cool things to mention:

IMG_4634

Each piece comes with a styling card to help you figure out how to wear the item. Stitch Fix has literally thought of everything.

While I didn't end up loving every single piece I got, I did really enjoy the experience and have another box scheduled for February. I hope to share that as well to see if the style profile changes I made worked. I'm not sure how long I'll continue with Stitch Fix as I consider it a bit of a novelty and can find much cheaper clothes online...but for now, I'm pretty pleased.

Let me know if you want to sign up and/or have questions. I'll give you the lowdown (as if I haven't given enough detail here already!)


Which piece was YOUR favorite?


5 comments:

  1. Howwwwwwww have I not heard of this? It is exactly what I need! I actually really appreciate you showing each item and prices and that you mentioned they include a styling card about how to wear it, because I'm terrible at that. I am so intrigued. I might try this out and if I do, I'll use your link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, how haven't you heard?! :)


    It's so much fun! I was having a bad day on Friday and got home to a box of clothes and suddenly all was right with the world again! Hope you enjoy if you sign up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my GOLL, this is what I need! I am CLUELESS when it comes to clothes, and I actually think I need to just get the box you got...I was like "DON'T PUT THAT BACK!!!" the whole time. :)


    I might have to try this out. Remind me later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe wear the blue top with some skinny jeans or leggings? They're all so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sad you aren't coming to Blend... :( I NEED to see you!! I so need to do this b/c I can't "style" myself...

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...