Jan 2, 2013

Healthy Lunch Ideas & Lunch Box Shopping


I start my new job on Monday (it's a temp to permanent job, but alas, a job). It's been five years since I've walked into an office knowing no one but the person who interviewed me. It's been five years since I had to ask where the office supplies, bathroom, and printer are.

It's also been five years since I had to pack a lunch.

My old job had free, organic, catered lunches. Maybe that was why I clung to it for so long.

I thought I'd start strategizing some healthy lunch ideas that will be a cinch to pack and keep me full throughout the day. The company does provide drinks and healthy snacks, but I do want to keep my own stash as well.

Healthy Snacks to Keep at my Desk
  • Fresh fruit: apples, clementines, pears
  • Jerky: buffalo, turkey, beef
  • Simply Bars or protein bars
Healthy, Easy to Pack Lunches
  • Turkey wraps with lettuce, tomato, and hummus
  • Low sodium (Organic Valley) soups to heat up, served with whole wheat crackers
  • Taco salads: taco turkey meat, lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, salsa
  • Bagel Thin pizzas with side of fresh veggies
  • Leftover soups, stews, chili
Also, I started shopping for a grown up lunchbox. Here are some of my finds:

Lunch Boxes

1. I have one of these Built lunch boxes already and love it. I used it to tote around my DSLR (great tip, Sarah!). It's soft and cushy and machine washable. $23, Amazon.

2. This Bobble soft blue lunch box comes with a cute filtered bottle. I love the color. $12.99, Target.

3. Oots! Lunchbox Deluxe. All the little containers fit in the lunch box perfectly. A+ for organization. $35, Oots!

4. This guy from The New General Store is simple and cute. $18, The New General Store.

5. I love Thirty One bags and this thermal lunch bag is super cute and holds a lot of food. I could also get my name embroidered on it so no one will snatch my gourmet lunches.

6. I really like these containers by Lunch Bots. They are stainless steel, dishwasher safe, and you don't have to worry about tomato sauce stains. $25 & $19, LunchBots.



Which lunch box is your favorite? What are some of your favorite packed lunch ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Those free lunches are hard to give up!! I have the 31 bag, and I love it! I always make extra on dinners so we can have the leftovers for lunch. Hard boiled eggs are also super handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah @ The Smart KitchenJanuary 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM

    I'm telling you, this 'carrying my camera in a lunch bag' trend is going to catch on one of these days.


    I sort of am obsessed with lunch boxes, but I don't actually have that many. I restrict myself from buying fancy schmancy containers because whenever I do, they languish on the shelf and I fall back on the same two Pyrex containers and same Ziploc baggies. [Which, yes, I reuse.]


    Get yourself into a soup of the week kick. Break out your Crock Pot. :)

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...