Dec 2, 2012

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers


Did I tell you I'm an Elf for Health?

nutritionella

It's an fun seasonal challenge put on my one of my awesome Blend-mates, Lindsay and new to me blogger (who I am also loving right now), Elle. The basic concept is to encourage healthy habits and accountability during the holiday season. I'm all for indulging when I really want something, but I also I tend to go a bit overboard during this time. My Elf, Amanda has been so motivating and we've actually talked about life more than hitting the gym and eating our veggies, but that's important, too! If you'd like to participate in the next round, sign up with Lindsay or Ella, using their links above!

...

quinoa stuffed peppers 2

Each day of the project includes a challenge. Last week I didn't get around to participating in a lot of the challenges, but that's about to change. Tomorrow's focus is incorporating fiber in your diet. And I knew just the recipe. My brother developed these quinoa stuffed peppers and I must say, he's quite the genius, because these are so amazingly good and super healthy!

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers 

Serves 4, one pepper each

Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1.5 hours

  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
  • 1 celery stalk, finely diced
  • 1 large carrot, finely diced
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 14-15 oz. diced tomatoes, drained and liquid reserved
  • 1 15 oz. black beans
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (any type)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 4 large bell peppers, any color, tops cut off and insides cleaned out
  • 1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese, plus additional for topping
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and saute until onion is translucent. Add chili powder, oregano, cumin and garlic. Mix well and saute for 1 minute.

Add diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, quinoa and water. Bring to boil and cover. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer until quinoa is tender or liquid is has evaporated (around 15-20 minutes). Mix in cheese and add salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour saved tomato juice in bottom of a baking dish. Spoon above mixture into peppers and place in baking dish. Bake for 50-60 minutes until peppers are tender, covered with foil. Uncover and add remaining cheese. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.  Let sit for 5 minutes and serve.

*note: I used kidney beans instead of black because that's all I had, but use whatever you have on hand!

quinoa stuffed peppers 1

I must say that this recipe involves a bit more work than I normally like to do in the kitchen, but it was so worth it! These peppers are filling with all the fiber and incredibly flavorful.


quinoa stuffed peppers 3


Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Sarah @ The Smart KitchenDecember 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM

    I'm pretty sure you e-mailed me this recipe oh, say, MONTHS ago when I got the rice cooker/slow cooker that I have yet to actual use. [I'm sorry, I didn't want my roommates to use it. I didn't trust those ones...] Still sounds/looks amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you omit the cheese, then they are 100% vegan with benefits approved! I cannot wait to go home and eat the leftovers tonight. All the flavors are probably melding together in my frig as we speak...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to come over for dinner please!! :) If only I weren't allergic to peppers. Boo...

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...