Nov 19, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012: Potatoes, Gravy, and Stuffing


Today's Thanksgiving post focuses on my favorite sides, the mashed potatoes, gravy and stuffing. Stuffing, dressing. Tomatoes, ToMAToes. I don't care what you call it, but stuffing is the greatest. And so very easy to make.

Since I'm pretty sure everyone know how to make mashed potatoes and has their own recipes, I'll skip that one. I do; however; highly recommend Yukon Gold potatoes. They are the best.

Thanksgiving Cooking

And we all know it's not Thanksgiving unless there's gravy on those potatoes. Making gravy was another part of Thanksgiving last year that intimidated me a bit. I've never made my own gravy before. But, it really wasn't too hard and required just a little bit of patience. Also, using a gravy boat is fun.

Pan Gravy
The key to making the best gravy is to be patient with the roux. The browner the better. 

Makes about 1 cup of gravy. 

  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup chicken broth or stock
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk together. Heat until the roux turns medium brown. Gradually add the chicken broth, being sure to stir to prevent lumps. Turn the up the heat to medium and bring to boil, stirring occasionally, until the gravy thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
...
Now for the finale of today's post and again, my personal favorite, the stuffing. I called it stuffing, but I do not actually stuff it into the turkey, just into my mouth. Also, we have a turkey breast, nothing to stuff there. This recipe is a family favorite. It's very basic with minimal ingredients, but that's what I love most about it. The onion and celery are the stars of the show here.

Apple Stuffing Cups

I love using a muffin tin to make individual portions of stuffing. Why? Because everyone knows the outer pieces of the stuffing, where the bread is nice and crispy is the best part. When you use a muffin tin, this ensures that more of the stuffing is crispy and there's no fighting over the best parts. Magic.
Makes about 12 cupcake-sized stuffing cups.
  • 1-2 celery stalks, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1 apple, peeled and finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1 egg
  • croutons (I make my own, by toasting cubes of bread in the over on 300 degrees for 30 minutes)
  • chicken broth/stock
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

Saute the celery and onion in butter over medium heat until tender. Add this to the croutons and mix. Add in the egg. Begin to add the chicken broth, mixing thoroughly, until the mixture comes together. Season to taste. Bake in the oven at 350F until stuffing browns and middle is no longer wet when checked with a knife.

Thanksgiving Food

I'm so hungry now.



What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? 



4 comments:

  1. I'm coming over for the stuffing cups. How cute are those?! It'll be a long drive, but they look worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuffing cups. Love it! And the correct name is in fact stuffing. Says me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to have you and I personally think they are worth the road trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah @ The Smart KitchenNovember 29, 2012 at 5:32 AM

    Outer edges. AMEN. I actually worked with someone at Central Market who took the leftover stuffing, put it in muffin tins, and then cracked an egg into it and baked it. How delicious does THAT sound? [I was in the midst of intense veganism at the time, so I never actually tried it...]

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...