Nov 16, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012: Menu For Two


Last year was our first Thanksgiving as a married couple and our Thanksgiving spent by ourselves on the West Coast. It was truly bittersweet.

Thanksgiving Food

In the past, on Thanksgiving morning, I'd awaken to the glorious scents coming from my mom's kitchen and the sounds of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on TV. My family would then head up to the attic and carry down our Christmas tree, ornaments, garland, and white twinkle lights. Despite having a huge meal to cook for all the extended family, my crazy Mom would decorate our home for Christmas on the exact same day. It was stressful, but by golly, we don't break traditions in our household.

Except last year I wasn't there. But I was here with Brandon, making our own Thanksgiving traditions:

  • Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
  • Followed by the dog shows
  • Getting out our on little box of decorations and table top tree to decorate
  • Hanging Christmas lights on our balcony
  • Eating bacon sandwiches for breakfast (bacon grease is an excellent addition to green beans by the way)
  • Eating dinner on the coffee table while watching Planes, Trains and Automobils (one of the only Thanksgiving movies we know of)
  • Eating leftovers for days...

And this year will be the same. I'm all about traditions. They give me the warm fuzzies like no other (except perhaps, watching Golden Girls reruns). So when we almost decided to forgo our little Thanksgiving and head to someplace tropical, I was a little torn. Beaches or turkey? Turns out that everyone else and their moms were thinking the same thing and Hawaii would have cost us more money than I spent on my first car (1990 Acura Integra, teal, sunroof, overheated on hills). 

So Thanksgiving in the old apartment was Plan B. I like Plan B's. 

Thanksgiving Food

For my first time cooking Thanksgiving dinner last year, I thought things turned out pretty well, as in everything was tasty (not my mom's cooking tasty, but tasty). And despite (Brandon) spilling turkey brine all over our refrigerator, it was a fairly low stress process. The food was simple and just right for two people. So I'm not changing a thing. Same menu, same traditions, new year.


Thanksgiving (for 2) 2012 Menu

Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
Mashed Potatoes and Pan Gravy
Apple Stuffing
Alton Brown's Cranberry Dipping Sauce
Crock Pot Green Beans with Bacon
Crescent Rolls
Pumpkin Pie with Whipped Cream


Recipes and my shopping list to follow in the next few blog posts!


What are you favorite Thanksgiving traditions? 


7 comments:

  1. It isn't Thanksgiving without the Macy's Day parade! This year all of our traditions are going out the window, and I'm still grieving over the idea of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear that! But try to make new traditions out of where ever you are and where ever you'll be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your plan b too! I can imagine something so small could feel a little sad, but it sounds like you two made the best of it! :) Your dinner looks so yummy. Carrying on some of your family's traditions is fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila@thefailtehouseNovember 20, 2012 at 5:06 AM

    What a feast :) I love how you are carrying out your families traditions on the West Coast - and I am guessing you are from the North East, because of your love of the Macy's day parade :) P.S. Love the leftovers for days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Born and raised in Virginia! I am always astonished when I hear someone doesn't watch Macy's parade on Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. While it is sad not being home, it's also a lot easier staying put! Just less help with the dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah @ The Smart KitchenNovember 29, 2012 at 5:20 AM

    I think the only truly consistent tradition is what we eat every year...but with two sets of parents/families, even that changes from year to year, depending on which parent 'gets' us that year. My stepmom, for example, is all about regular mashed potatoes, but my mom's family only eats sweets.


    I think that as long as family is around you, that's really all you need.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...