Nov 13, 2012

30 Days of Thanks


I met the very sweet and smart Amanda at Blend Retreat in May and immediately became a huge fan of her blog, Diary of a Semi-Health Nut. Her approach to healthy living and workouts is totally in sync with mine; its all about balance. She keeps it real, so check her out!

Amanda introduced her readers to 30 Days of Thanks...basically a chance to reflect and list what you are thankful for for the month of November. Fitting, isn't it?

I've been meaning to tweet and keep up with this daily, but I haven't. So, I wanted to share my list here with you and hope that you join in with us as well.

Side note: I am leaving out the things that are obvious and trying to get a bit creative. I'm obviously very thankful for my husband, family, friends, roof over my head, and my health. Those are a given.

I want to challenge myself to be thankful for things that I normally complain about or take for granted. 

  1. My job. It isn't my dream job. Shoot, somedays it makes want to pull my hair out, but I have a job to wake up to each morning and a purpose each day. And a paycheck to help keep Target in business.
  2. Contacts. Being able to see, sans glasses, makes me so happy. Are they a pain to put in every morning? Yes, but by golly, I can see. 
  3. My commute. I complain about it daily to myself as I sit in traffic light after traffic light, but that's ridiculous, because it only takes me 18 minutes, at the most, to get to work. Some people have it much worse. 
  4. Washing machine and dryer. I hate hate hate doing laundry. And I hate our current washer and dryer because they are apartment sized and it takes me all weekend long to do four loads of laundry. But you know what? I have them. In my apartment. No quarter hunting required. That's something to be thankful for. 
  5. Karen Kingsbury books. I'll admit it. I'm not very good about reading my Bible. The version I have is hard to read and follow. I try, I really do, but I've learned so much great scripture from Karen's books and I'd like to thank her for keeping the Word alive for me. 
  6. The Bay Area. In the past, on my old blog, I wrote a really scary, bare my soul post ...one about how I wasn't very fond of where I'm living, here in the SF Bay Area. It's not home. My family doesn't live here and good gosh, don't get me started on the traffic and home prices. But you know what? I'm starting to become thankful for it and appreciating what I DO like about it. Starting with the all the awesome grocery stores (hey, that matters), easy parking (for the most part), great restaurants, fun outdoorsy places to visit, and easy going drivers (even if there are lot of them). 
  7. Airplane travel. Again, it's a pain and I can't believe how excited I used to get about air travel as a child. Now, I dread it. But, if it weren't for airplane travel, I'd see my family like say, once a year instead of multiple times. 
  8. The weather. Never happy with it here. I complain that the Bay Area has no weather: it's always pretty mild out, sunny, and it never excites us with a snowstorm or even a thunderstorm. It's umm, boring. But, I'm thankful that I never have to worry about hitting black ice or trying to drive through downpour. 
  9. Clean sheets. I hate changing the sheets on my bed. It's a battle of me versus too-small sheets  Usually, I injure myself in the game of tug and war. But, is there nothing better than getting into a bed with clean, white sheets? Seriously. Nothing is better.
  10. Being at home. I used to want to go somewhere and do something every weekend. Being at home was boring. I don't know if I'm getting old or what, but I just cherish the comfortable and safe feeling of being within my own walls. After we get home from traveling, I let out a huge sigh of relief when I walk through the doors. 
  11. My knees. My poor, worn out, injured knees. How could I be thankful for an injury? Well, it has humbled me. It has taught me to slow down and not pressure myself so much in the gym. 
  12. My braces (when I was 12). I cried my eyes out when I was told I needed braces. I hated how I'd look. I hated that people had to do work in my mouth. Gag flex + braces = hell. But, gosh, I am so thankful my mom made me get them. Also, she sacrificed a lot as a single mom to pay for those out of her pocket. 
Almost half way there! I hope to follow up near the end of the month to finish off my list. 


You turn. What's one thing that you complain about all the time but yet, are really thankful for?


5 comments:

  1. One of my favorite things about you is your ability to take a negative and flip it on its head. Perhaps that's why you get so many, "Help! What am I doing with my life?!?!" e-mails? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep em' coming. They make my life look normal. Ha! Just kidding, you know I'm just as crazy as you are :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh this puts my thankful posts to shame! I'm so happy you linked up so I could check this out! LOVE your attitude and so glad to be friends with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto! This has been a very helpful little project during a time of very high stress for me!


    Are you planning on going to Blend next year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I am planning on it!! But of course it's so far away I don't know for sure. And it is a challenge to justify it on a college budget when there's no educational benefit per se...like other blogging conferences ya know? But definitely definitely want to!! :) You?

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...