Sep 14, 2012

Things I'm Glad I Did Before 30


I'm turning 29 in a few weeks and it completely blows my mind. It feels like just yesterday that I was graduating high school, then college, and my whole life was ahead of me. Granted, 29 isn't that old, but I sure did learn a lot between now and when I was 19. And the greatest thing; I have no regrets.

Here's a few things I don't regret doing in my 20's, because, while you can do these things at any age, people will be most accepting of them while you are young, irresponsible, and childless.

1. Move across the country. Without a job. To be with my husband, then-boyfriend. 

That was scary. And potentially stupid as so many things could have gone wrong. Fortunately, things turned out better than I(we) could have ever imagined. I learned a lot. I knew what it was like to have a draining bank account and no steady money coming into it. I took a risk that I'm not sure I would be able to do at this point in my life. So I'm glad I did it then.

2. Sleep in on Saturdays. And Sundays. 

Sign number 5968 that we aren't ready for children: we still sleep in on the weekends. And we really like it. I'm not talking noon or anything crazy late, but sleeping for a solid 9 -10 hours straight feels darn good and I'm not going to be ashamed of it.

3. Move back home with my Mom. 

After I graduated from Virginia Tech with my undergrad, I briefly moved back home while I worked my first post-graduate job (and before I moved West). Not only did this arrangement make me even closer to her and allowed me to appreciate her even more than I already do, it also helped me face the fact that I'll never live at home ever again, nor would I want to. Closure is important.

4. Stayed in a uber cheap, possibly unsafe hostel in NYC. 

When we were in college, Brandon and I were as poor as we could be. But we really wanted to experience New York City. So we hopped on a Greyhound ($25!) in D.C. and spent a week in New York in this completely run-down, shoddy hostel that had shared (nasty) baths and screams in the middle of night. Let's just say you couldn't pay me to do that now...

5. Eat cereal for dinner. Or sandwiches. Or microwaved bacon. 

Both Brandon and I get organic catered lunches at our jobs (I know, right?? In Silicon Valley, this is common!), so when we drag ourselves home around 7 or 8pm, dinner is the last thing on our minds. It's usually whatever we can throw in a bowl and we fiend for ourselves. Pretty sure I won't be doing this when we start a family in our 30's.


So technically I have another year left of my 20's and I want to make it count. Here's to sleeping on on Saturdays, easy dinners during the week and spur of the moment drives to the coast. Here's to the easy life before things get more complicated. More complicated, but ultimately really really awesome and wonderful and every positive adjective you could imagine.

Here's to growing up slowly and appreciating the here and now. 

5 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of those catered lunches!! I need to move out there! :) love the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list. I need to move somewhere new before I turn thirty. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy early birthday! You guys sound like you're having a good enough time without kiddos. Cereal for dinner ftw! And you look young, so my theory is that us younger looking women can have kids later...right?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your theory and it has actually crossed my mind as well! If only biology worked that way!

      Delete
  4. 1, 3, and 5 ring SO true with me...although I'm doing them alone, I feel the same way. One day, those luxuries of spontaneity or 'eating whatever random food I can find put in a bowl (or two)' for dinner might not ALWAYS be options for me. I think moving to Texas (and then back in with my parents for a bit) were both crucial in my growth, even though I did the independent one first, and then became dependent. :)

    I wish I could sleep in. Wish I could. I'd rather be running.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...