Sep 5, 2012

A Best Body Bootcamp Update: Measuring Progress


It's been a while since I've updated my progress with Tina's Best Body Bootcamp, but it hasn't been because of lack of participation, thankfully. I did have a few weeks where things got busy and good, unhealthy, greasy food got the best of me, but overall, I would say that this bootcamp did what I hoped it would do: get me back on track with my workouts and healthy eating habits.

I'm not done yet (one week left), but I've lost 2 pounds and a total of 2 inches overall - nothing very noticeable, but progress looks different to everyone. The real accomplishment I've made so far is that I think a little bit more about what I put in my mouth and I more often than not, make time to exercise. All the rest is just a bonus.

I will disclaim though that I haven't been following the plan exactly. My bum knee (I fractured it somehow last winter and I feel that it is still healing) has held me back a bit from the weight bearing exercises and quite frankly, I've been too lazy to modify them. Instead, I used the circuit and superset concepts from the program to create my own workouts, ones that are a bit easier on the knee.

But back to progress (sorry, this post is a bit all over the place). My scale barely says progress, and the same goes for my tape measure, but I've learned to track my progress in other ways. For instance:

  • 2 unassisted overhand grip pull ups
  • 148 pound dead lift (single rep)
  • 22 push ups (from my toes)
  • average of 6 or 8 miles a week of hill walking, interval runs, or elliptical miles
  • average of 4.5 trips to the gym per week

Not too shabby, huh? So, my jeans from last winter are still a bit snug (I blame the darn dryer), but I remind myself of the accomplishments above and how far I've come since my fall from the workout wagon. 

Would I recommend Best Body Bootcamp to someone else? Absolutely. Like I mentioned, accountability is key and this program offers that and a whole lot more (specific workouts, training plans, prizes, and solidarity from other bootcampers). Shoot, I'd pay $25 a week just to have a shared Google Doc with Tina showing my workouts and goal progress. 


What's your non-scale/non-tape measure way of tracking your progress?

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome girl!! I wish I could do 1 pull up! I usually just measure progress by endurance or increase in weight on lifting! I hate the scale....table of lies!

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...