Aug 9, 2012

Mint Condition - Part One


IMG_2078

Mission - paint this sad and boring 9.99 LACK side table from Ikea

When - this weekend

Where - umm, here.

How -

1. Find instructions online. I searched Pinterest (of course) and studied about five different articles on how to paint laminate and Ikea furniture. This one, from Censational Girl seemed to be the easiest and most legit, so I'll be following it as closely as possible. 

2. Buy supplies. Tomorrow we are heading to Home Depot or Lowes to buy the following:
  • two paint brushes
  • one foam roller
  • one roller tray
  • Zinesser Cover Stain Primer
  • Penetrol additive
  • Mineral spirits
  • 60 grit sandpaper
  • paint!

3. Choose Paint Color. My original thought was a deep teal color, which is one of Pantone's Fall 2011 colors, but then I thought I'd go a little less funky and a little more girly... with mint! I'm going to see if they have something similar to Pantone Smart 11-4805X, which looks like this: 
Source: amazon.com via Maria on Pinterest


Kind of hard to tell by this photo, but it's a really light minty blueish color that I think will be gorgeous with our white bedding. I might have to upgrade the lamp too while we are at it...but one thing at a time here.

This project isn't because I love that little table. I actually think its boring and doesn't work at all, but I think it's a great test project on how to paint Ikea furniture. Our apartment is chock full of Ikea laminate and particle board and since we aren't sure if we want to buy real furniture yet, painting some of it might keep us happy in the meantime. And I think painting is pretty fun.  [I'm hoping I don't eat those words after this weekend.]

Have you ever painted your cheap furniture to spruce it up a bit? Any luck? Any tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...