Aug 5, 2012

Best Body Bootcamp - Week Two Recap


In my last recap, I professed my love of weight training and how much I've missed it. I like the emphasis on lifting heavy and keeping cardio to short sessions of intervals and HIIT. I've always read that if you weight train properly, you really don't need to do a ton of cardio - which is totally my cup of tea, because: lifting weights > cardio any day!

Fitness aside, this program is also really helping me stick to healthy eating (as is my new budget). I've been eating more mindfully, which always seems to work best for me.

Here's a snapshot of some of my eats this week (the healthy and the not so healthy to keep it real).

Chipotle has reared its delicious head a few times, but I stick to the chicken salad.

Chipotle Chicken Salad

And share the chips and salsa with Brandon.

Chipotle Chips and Salsa

This is one of my favorite meals this week and so simple to make when you get home from the gym at 7:30pm. I used a Flat Out Whole Wheat Wrap, deli sliced mesquite turkey, spinach, and tomato; with a few baked BBQ potato chips and fruit on the side. I could eat this meal every single day and not get tired of it.

Turkey Wrap

Since chips are obviously one of my staples and favorite foods, I thought I'd try my hand at making healthier ones: zucchini chips. I had this GIANT organic zucchini from a coworker's garden and sliced it up. I baked the slices with some salt, paprika, and canola oil spray at 375 degrees. They weren't pretty, let me tell ya, but they were tasty and surprisingly filling.

Zucchini Chips

I've also been upping my water intake. I try to get in at least three-four glasses of white or green tea a day and just as much, if not more, ice water. I've definitely noticed a lot less water retention, which I'm prone to. Cankles, begone!

Green Tea

I'm not perfect with my eats (I don't want to be), but I am on the right track and enjoying life, so no complaints here.

Knee Update. My trainer has pretty much forbidden me to run for a month (even on my beloved Woodway treadmill) and has had me focusing on rowing and the elliptical for cardio. He also gave me some tips on lower body weight training in order not to re-injure myself. So far, the pain is minimal and is going away more each day.

Because of this, I've had to skip out on a lot of the Best Body Bootcamp lower body workouts. With the help of my trainer and simply by trial and error, I've come up with the following lower body workout that I used to replace the one in the program. I made sure not to go very low on the lunges and squats and have had zero pain whatsoever.

Lower Body Super Set Workout*

{50-60 rest in between sets}

Superset 1 / x3
15  / Plie squats with kettlebell / 20 lbs
12 / walking lunges / 10 lbs each hand

Superset 2 / x3
15 / kettlebell swings / 25 lbs
12 / barbell front squats / 24 lbs

Superset 3 / x3
15 / abductor machine / 40 lbs
15 / adductor machine / 40 lbs

*not apart of the Best Body Bootcamp. 

So far, I'm really pleased with my results. I'm getting stronger, feel more lean, and actually look forward to my workouts at the end of the day - can't tell you how rare that is!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, I LOVE Chipotle. I know it can be easily re-created at home, but there's just something about getting it straight from the source. So good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I pay mostly for someone to assemble the salad for me :) Worth it!

      Delete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...