Jun 18, 2012

Slow Cooker Turkey Taco Salads


turkey-tacos-1

With my new healthy eating plan comes new recipes. I thought I'd share with you a fantastic and simple recipe I created for turkey tacos. Its very important to me to get in as much protein as possible and ground turkey gives you a lot of bang for your buck (one 3-ounce serving = 22 grams of protein). You can do whatever you want with this mixture; served on corn tortillas, flour tortillas, in a burrito, in an enchilada dish...or my preferred method, on a bed of romaine.

I think the key to this recipe's success is the cup of salsa. It really helps moisten the otherwise bland and dry ground turkey. I used Kirkland's organic medium salsa from Costco, but I think these would be fantastic with Trader's Joe's salsa verde if you don't want as much heat. Or...if you are a Susie Homemaker, you can make your own. I really want to try Pioneer Woman's Restaurant Style Salsa.

While I know that making tacos on the stovetop is a much quicker option, the slow cooker makes the meat very tender and all the flavors meld together perfectly. I must warn you that the texture of the meat is very similar to the the texture of Taco Bell's "meat".  Except this meat is healthy. And organic. And consists of real ingredients.

crock pot

Slow Cooker Turkey Tacos makes 3-4 one cup servings

Ingredients
1 pound organic, free range ground turkey
1 small yellow, orange, or green pepper, finely diced
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
1.5 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 cup organic medium or mild salsa
cup water
1.5 Tbs. cumin
1.5 Tbs. chili powder
1 Tbs. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste

Procedure
1. Using a small food processor, or by hand, finely dice pepper and onion. 
2. Add ground turkey, peppers, onion, oil, salsa, and water to slow cooker. 
3. Mix well and use a spoon to cut up turkey into small pieces.
4. Add spices.
5. Mix well.
6. Set slow cooker on LOW, stirring occasionally, for 5 hours. 

Beware: these are a bit spicy, so if that's not your thing, I suggest omitting the red pepper flakes, cutting back the chili powder and/or using very mild salsa. I used 1tsp. red pepper flakes and medium salsa and it definitely had a kick to it (which I very much liked)!


2 comments:

  1. I seriously need to get a new crock pot! I just made turkey chili on my stove and was seriously regretting not packing that baby with me from DC! Those look awesome! And I love the kick too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are sharing slow cooker recipes, as this is something one just put in the pot and switch on. Nothing major and still healthy eating.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...