Jun 12, 2012

Shape It Up, Shape It In


I had a healthy living blog once. It's the cool thing to do, but I gave it up after life got a little hectic and I was over taking photos of my food. What you long time readers (all five of you) don't know is that not only did I give up my blog during that time, I also slightly gave up on the whole healthy living concept. I mean I'm not sitting here with a bag of Doritos beside me while I sip on a Big Gulp, but I have been far too lenient with my choices in food and far too lazy to get myself to the gym on a regular basis. I guess healthy living blogs have this whole accountability thing going for them...

But enough is enough. I'm tired of feeling well...tired. And weak (I want to do real pushups again!) and not really myself. Also, I have a beach vacation coming up very soon. Enough said.

I dragged my cousin Jessie into the challenge and we have spent the past few days making workout spreadsheets (I love Google Docs) and keeping each other motivated.

Eating Plan

I've decided to do what works best for me: the Whole 30 Diet (aka, Paleo). It's based upon lean meats, fresh fruit and vegetables and small servings of nuts. I've always tried to base most of my meals on this concept, but a few too many treats here and there and suddenly, I'm far from it.

For the sake of my sanity I'm planning on sticking to the plan at about 85%-90%, leaving me with some wiggle room for food I love. When I followed this plan in the past, I really noticed how it affected my blood sugar levels, which can cause me to indulge like no other. So far, no bad food cravings and I've been able to keep my hands out of the candy bowl at work.


Workout Plan



I'm going to follow this plan as precisely as I can. I just joined a new gym and am ready to get acquainted with it. I really dislike hitting the gym without a plan in mind, so my having workouts all mapped out will make things a bit more bearable. 

I've also been running (shocker, I know, since I kind of hate it) with Brandon. He's a lot faster than I am, which can only help. It hurts my pride when I can't beat him in our sprints, but I'm going to blame that on my child-sized legs. 

Accountability

As I mentioned, Jessie is my partner in crime. We G-Chat all day long anyways, so it makes sense to bombard her with my nonstop chatter about healthy food choices. I'm also tracking measurements and weight on a weekly basis. I'm short, so even the smallest changes are much more visible on me than you lucky people over five feet tall. And I took before photos. No further comments on those.

I may or may not be posting updates here. Probably only when the mood hits, which is kind of how this blog works anyways. 

Goals

While my short term goal with this plan is to feel a bit more confident in my bathing suit during our beach vacation (I'm only human after all) and do a real pull up or two again, my ultimate goal is to change my habits back to the way they used to be: four-five days of workouts a week; eating healthy foods the majority of the time. 

I'm motivated. I'm excited. I have a healthy stew in the Crock Pot and some majorly sore hamstrings, so I think I'm on the right track. Wish me luck!

9 comments:

  1. Haha, I am glad to be in on it. We have a common goal which helps... feeling great at the beach! I need to make a better blog post about this. Mine yesterday was rushed and lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to gchat or text me about healthy food choices [or, you know, anything else]...I'm here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Though I'm quite sure that you'd get sick of hearing me proclaim what I ate for breakfast, snack, lunch, and dinner.

      Delete
  3. I love that we both kind of have been on the same route, and that we are both motivated and excited to get back on track! I am serious about that 5K!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! We'll see about that 5K. I may have to do the run/walk method :)

      Delete
  4. All 5 of you... silly girl! There are a lot of us! Happy to see you're back on the health train. Can you send some of that exercise motivation my way please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I must admit that my motivation came from buying a few bathing suits in the mail to try on. And seeing how my suits from last year fit...motivation occurred instantaneously.

      Delete
  5. You can gchat me anytime girl!! I would LOVE to chat! :) I'm so glad you are back to posting. I am going to try out the summer shape up. What did you think??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it so far! The workout yesterday was fun and absolutely killed me, which is what I needed! It's also fun knowing that so many other ladies are out there busting out similar workouts on the same day. I tell myself if they fit in time to do it, then I certainly can too.

      I'd love for you to join us and we can G-Chat about it all day :)

      Delete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...