May 7, 2012

Blend Retreat 2012


Let me first start by saying that if you want a brilliantly written recap about Blend Retreat, then mosey yourself over to The Smart Kitchen and say hi to Sarah for me. She was one of my roommates for the weekend and I'll always remember keeping her up way past her bedtime so we could talk about life, airport drama, careers, and rambunctious 1st graders.

Now that you've read Sarah's post, welcome back. That was great, wasn't it? I don't have anything to add because she summed it up perfectly. But I shall babble anyways.

I signed up for Blend Retreat a few months ago, not really sure about where I'd fit into the whole ordeal because I consider myself more of a blog reader than a blog writer. Honestly, it's just easier and less time consuming to read than write a blog.

But I was sold immediately when I heard it would take place in quite possibly my favorite state to visit (aside from Virginia), Colorado. It also didn't hurt that it would be attended by some of my favorite blog crushes. What I didn't realize when signing up was that Blend would be more about fellowship than blogging. Blogging (and blog reading) was a common interest, but honestly, I could talk to these ladies (and a few gents) about nearly anything and everything, which was exactly what I needed this weekend.

See for yourself.

Flat Iron Hike

That would be the hike that Sarah and I conquered. Though conquered might not be the best word for it as I silently prayed the whole time that my knees wouldn't give out and I would topple down the mountain like the weeble wobble that I am. But the view from the top was worth it and we were proud.

Flat Iron Hike

Flat Iron Hike

Thank you Sarah for the pep talks and The Simply Bar for the fuel.

Sarah and I

Coconut Lemon Simply Bar

And thank you knees for not giving up on me. (We won't tell the doctor about the little mountain climb, will we?)

Not only did Blend offer fellowship beyond my expectations (everyone who attended couldn't have been more friendly), but it provided a relatively loose schedule that allowed for Boulder explorations.

So explore we did.

Boulder Farmers Market

Boulder Farmers Market

Free range local beef jerky

(Local beef jerky as a gift to the husband, who so graciously cleaned the house and did laundry while I was away. The key to my heart is a clean house. The key to his is beef. )

Mountain Sun Pub Menu

Unfortunately, my delicious meal photo from The Mountain Sun Pub did not turn out well. I wish I could have shown you the Gooney Bird sandwich in all of its glory (oh and the handcut fries), but I stuffed it into my face too quickly to fawn over its beauty.

And just as quickly as Blend approached, it was over. The lovely and incredibly sweet Jen from Crazy Cooking Couple, spent a few hours in the airport with me (as we bonded over pulled pork BBQ) and I quickly realized that despite my hesitations from before, I fit in with this crazy group of food-loving, photo-taking, and fitness-buffing ladies. Attending Blend required a bit of risk taking for this often reserved and shy person, but I truly believe that the bigger the risk, the bigger the reward.

So there's my feeble attempt at recapping one of the most wonderful weekends I can remember. It reminded me to take notice of the best things in life: friends, food (yes, food), and finding time for yourself.


[For more of my BLEND photos, please visit my Flickr account.]

11 comments:

  1. Loved your posts. Your pictures for the post came out beautifully. But you are right that sandwich was a monster! :) Glad you had a great time! We will have to hangout whenever your are in VA for more then a minute haha - Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I only wish I had taken more photos (and one of us - photo-fail!).

      Tell Ziggy I said hi. I feel like I almost know him now :)

      Meeting in VA is a MUST!

      Delete
  2. Another post to make me jealous of those attending BLEND. I did the same hike when I was in Boulder almost 2 years ago. It's been too long! So glad you had a wonderful time, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year, Brittany. Next year :)

      Delete
  3. Great post Maria! So glad I meet you. We sure did jam in a whole lot of fun in a weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a BEAUTIFUL job recapping. :) And I love the use of the word "weeble wobble." If only I hadn't just scheduled my post about our fitnessy activities already, I'd totally add that in!

    Love, love, and more love!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you for the kind words, Miss Smart.

      You have my permission to add "weeble wobble" in any of your future posts. Perhaps in a song?

      Delete
  5. Maria, I am so glad you are blogging again! I finally had the chance to catch up on all of your posts and I am so excited! I love reading about your life in CA. Everyone always asks me, "what are Brandon & Maria up to?" but because all three of us seem to work all the time, if I don't have your blog to read, I have no answers for anyone! I hope I can see you both on Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't blog very often because it can be time consuming and I have to be motivated to do so, but I like to just put little snippets of what we are up to on here.

      Yes! I hope you can make it up Memorial Day weekend. I think we all might go out for pizza in Strasburg. Will be here before we know it!

      Delete
  6. You DO have a blog!! I am following you ASAP!
    It was SO GOOD to meet you friend!! And go you for conquering that mountain with bad knees! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Hi Amanda! Thanks for the follow-ship :)

      Yes, I have this little blog that I very infrequently post on, but a blog nonetheless.

      It was such a huge pleasure to meet you in person as well and I hope keep in touch! Mountain - 0, Knees - 1. Success!

      Delete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...