Mar 21, 2012

Adventures in Decluttering: Food Pantry Edition


It's officially Spring! The weather is becoming nicer (well, sort of), winter boots are on sale (score!), and my mom is asking me whether I've done my Spring Cleaning yet. She's traditional like that.

Ahead of schedule, Mom.


Here's how it went down.

Brandon, rather nonchalantly: I found a little black bug in my raisin bran last night. 
Me: A bug?! 
Brandon: Yeah, they are all over the cabinet.

Deep breaths. Deep breaths.

Apparently little black bugs (weevils?) made a home for themselves in our pantry and Operation: Sanitize and Declutter immediately manifested in our kitchen. I tore open the pantry cabinets like a mad woman armed with my new hand held vacuum (a Valentine's gift from Brandon - sweet, I know). I scrubbed. I vacuumed. I sanitized. I might have cried a little - it was 10pm after all.

Finally, after our hard work, the bugs were gone and we had a trash bag full of expired and bug-ridden  food. Okay, that's when I almost cried.

Luckily, this story has a happy ending.


Clean, organized, and labeled pantry space! 


My spices were an absolute wreck before I organized them into neat bins. I have plans to buy some sort of spice organizer or rack, but this will do for now. 


I even sorted and organized my tea stash. I am determined not to buy anymore tea until at least half of this collection is gone. 


Ahhh....

While I certainly am not pleased that we had a bug situation going on (I swear we are clean people, swear), I am thrilled by the results. And have added a new item to my Target shopping list.




Have you started Spring Cleaning yet? Any bug stories to make me feel normal?

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Your pantry looks great. Well done on the Spring Cleaning.
    I'm a new reader of your blog and followed you over from A Healthy Slice of Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, you make my OCD organizational side so happy. Nothing feels as good as after time spent cleaning and organizing! The pantry looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Cleaning and organizing are my therapy. I love the idea of living simply with less stuff, which totally contradicts that fact that I love buying more stuff :)

      Delete
  3. When can I expect you at my house in Virginia?

    I've got a particularly INSANE spice assortment as well as various bulk bin bags that really need some attention.

    I'll trade you for some Love Grown Granola...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yuck! hate bugs! :(
    Your pantry looks awesome! I'd be scared to show you mine.. ;) I'm a messy person :( Jayme loves that about me! ;)
    I do like when my house is clean though! Especially the kitchen! You might have inspired me to do some spring cleaning myself, after exams are over... Thomas says "Thank you!!" ;)

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for commenting! I almost ALWAYS reply to comments and questions, so please click the little "Notify Me" box so that you'll be sure to receive my reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...